Carlos Martins speaks with The Gibraltar Magazine about the ICA and GACO and their missions.
We are very proud as part of Project Nexus to announce that the GFIU is going digital and has acquired an online SAR (Suspicious Activity Report) System that is going to be made available in early 2018 to all the entities in Gibraltar that have the obligation to report suspicious activities.
The European Union has published its first blacklist of tax havens, naming 17 jurisdictions including Panama, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates.
The list, which was agreed at a meeting of European finance ministers last week, is the result of a one-year exercise that involved screening 92 countries and asking their governments to plug any tax loopholes that were found.
After a couple of introductory words by the GACO Chairman, Carlos M. Martins, the GRA CEO kicked-off the session by dispelling the most common Myths around GDPR. The very interesting session was then continued by Bradley who delivered concise insights into the GDPR and how local players are supposed to transpose the regulations locally.
FATF President Mr. Santiago Otamendi and GAFILAT President Mr. Eugenio Curia, both from Argentina, chaired the first Plenary meeting of FATF-XXIX in Buenos Aires. This was a joint Plenary with GAFILAT, therefore all members of both organisations were able to participate in the meeting.
GACO has successfully organised and conducted a seminar on UK Reporting Obligations and UK Taxation of Offshore Structures on the 15th of November 2017. Speakers at this interesting, well organised and highly entertaining event, were Caroline Le Jeune, Head of Private Clients and Fiona Fernie, Tax Dispute Resolution Partner, both at Blick Rothenberg UK.
As from the 1st January 2018, any firm carrying out by way of business, in or from within Gibraltar, the use of distributed ledger technology (DLT) for storing or transmitting value belonging to others (DLT activities), will need to be authorised by the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission (GFSC) as a DLT provider. Firms seeking to apply are encouraged to speak to one of the local advisors as soon as possible.
Read more: http://www.gfsc.gi/dlt
GCID/GFIU has officially in cooperation with GACO, GFSC, OFT, RGP, Gambling Division, HM Customs, Tax Office, Gibraltar Law Office and other stakeholders in Gibraltar launched on October 18, 2017 the Gibraltar Financial Intelligence Unit Outreach Program called Project NEXUS.
Carlos Martins featured at 22:00 on GBC's Viewpoint.
GBC discusses the banking and finance industry and combating modern day risks and threats.
More Articles ...
- 4MLD and Amendments to POCA
- 2017 Basel Index Report Download
- Jersey companies incorporated to implement tax scheme were UK resident, says tax tribunal
- Crowdfunding models explained
- MiFID II and MiFIR
- Pan-European Personal Pension Product (PEPP)
- GDPR messages for the boardroom
- Preparing for the new anti-money laundering rules
- Why Are So Many Smart People So Stupid About the GDPR?
- Impending Data Protection Laws Place EU Operators At Risk
- How risk averse compliance teams are literally ruining the world
- The Promise of RegTech
- RegTech Is The New FinTech
- FCA proposes changes to advice on pension transfers
- Interview with Gibraltar Deputy Chief Minister
- MiFID survey: One third of alternative investment managers yet to decide on how to pay for research
- Blockchain gets real
- Wolfsberg Guidance on Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs)
- Bank Compliance - the Case for RegTech
- John Mason on MiFID II and its impact on the global financial markets